Saturday, June 9, 2012

You ask me what I like about Texas...

I hope all my Texans recognize the lyrics in my title. If not, I'm disappointed but I'll refresh your memory with this ;-)



(Just skip the ad and if you can't view it go here instead)

People are always asking me what I miss most about Texas (other than the obvious, family and friends) and the longer I am away the harder it gets to answer (sadly). However, I can still think of a good 5 things off the top of my head that I am most looking forward to in just about 4 days.

1. Mexican Food-this could probably be in the obvious category but I wanted a nice round 5 so I put it here. After living in SE Asia and now the UK there is absolutely nothing like Mexican food in Texas. It doesn't even come close anywhere else and you find that your standards of 'good' really lower. My favorite Mexican Food is El Tiempo in Houston and you better bet I'll be there one night while we are in Houston. The margaritas and fajitas are the best!

2. Sunshine-this wouldn't have been on my list while living in Singapore but it certainly tops it living in the UK. We had amazing weather last week and now it's back to cold and rainy. So, I am most looking forward to consistent sunshine and if it does rain while I'm home, I know it'll be accompanied by thunder which is another thing I miss about Texas (it doesn't thunder or lightening here).

3. Shopping-some of you may be saying, huh? Isn't Singapore a city of malls (yes) and then Aberdeen being not too far away from London (a fashion capital) has to have some decent shopping? I am not saying the shopping here is not good (we have Zara and Top Shop and Gap) but the sizes are different and some of the clothes just fit weird and not to mention pricier than the good ol US of A. No matter how long I am away, I will always look forward to visiting my favorite stores where most things will fit me just right. Dillard's, Nordstrom's (hello shoes!), Target, J. Crew, Ann Taylor Loft, Gap are all calling my name. North Park and I have a date next Friday!

4. Sandals and dresses-for the last 4 months (except for the week of uncharacteristic weather) my wardrobe has been boots, jeans, sweaters and usually a coat and this is the norm almost 12 months out of the year. So, needless to say, I may not be looking forward to the 90+ degree temperatures but I am looking forward to wearing less clothing for 2 weeks ;-) I'm sure I'll be ready for jeans again but it'll be nice for a little bit!

5. BBQ-This list wouldn't be complete without another food. Texas BBQ is definitely found no where else in the world and it's something else I look forward to having while I'm home. Rudy's where are you?

I'm sure I could easily make this list 10 but it would probably be mostly food items and how I miss that Texas pride and southern hospitality (other obvious things). Don't get me wrong, I am loving the situation we are in. I never thought I would get to travel the world and experience so many cultures and I wouldn't trade it for anything right now but Dorothy had it right....there's no place like home.



If you no longer live in your home state or country, what do you miss the most (other than the obvious)?


4 comments:

  1. I already miss sitting out on a patio drinking a margarita and snacking on chips and queso. And Target...oh how I miss Target. And Pandora. And Baseball. And well, this sure is a slippery slope:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, once you get started the list could go on. I definitely miss patio drinking and baseball too. We will luckily get in two Rangers' games while we're home. :-)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely would miss Mexican food! I remember when we were in Europe for 2 weeks a couple years ago, and I started getting the itch! Then we saw "The Texas Embassy" restaurant in London and felt like home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...the shopping. Coming from Alaska the shopping is very limited...but least you know where to go for what you want. What do I miss from Alaska aside from the obvious...lets see...Drive-thru coffee shacks that make dirty chai teas...mmmm. oh and this time of year I really miss drinking good cold beer around a campfire. and fishing. yep...Laine is right, slippery slope!

    ReplyDelete