Monday, November 5, 2012

My Mom, the Hall of Famer

I'm baaaack and pretty much recovered from my trip to the US. It was two weeks of quality time with family and friends, lots of shopping (but not enough), mani-pedis, Mexican food, and celebrating the coaching achievements of the greatest lady on earth, my momma.

At only 24 years old my mom became head volleyball and women's tennis coach at East Texas State University (now Texas A&M-Commerce) in 1977 (until 1983). She served as one of the volleyball program's first head coaches (a pioneer they call her) and compiled a 109-90 record; her 109 victories and .548 winning percentage both rank 3rd in the program history. Her teams won more than 20 matches in four of her five seasons, including winning 30 in 1982.

On the tennis courts, her teams won a handful of AIAW Division II regional and national tournaments, including finishing second in the region in 1979. Mom was recognized for her efforts by being named the 1983 NAIA Tennis Coach of the Year while serving as the volleyball and tennis vice-president from 1981-82 before taking over as president from 1982-83.
(all stats and info taken from the banquet program).

So, in other words, my mom is awesome!

Mom circa 1977
The Hall of Fame banquet is held during homecoming week so there is sure to be lots going on! Friday night, we attended the women's volleyball game in which yours truly served the first ball of the night....we'll just say it went over and I served it overhand :-) After the game we headed over to a informal reception for all of the inductees.

The Inductees
L: 1st volleyball coach at ETSU, M: current vball coach R: 3rd vball coach at ETSU
Mom and her sis
me and Mom
Saturday, we continued celebrating by tailgating before the football game vs. Abilene Christian. The game was pretty exciting in the first half but the Lions gave up their lead and ending up losing. Bummer for homecoming!
Susan, all the way from Amarillo!
Mom and Dad
Staci, one of mom's former v-ball players and a HOFer herself

Mom, Michelle, Aunt Patsy, Brudder and Marty
Mom and some of the current volleyball players; she's still an avid supporter
Mom and Dad got special privileges and sat with the president of the university in the box
Mom being recognized at half time; she's second from the right
The formal banquet was that evening and was such a special event. Mom had several of her former players (many of which she is good friends with) and lots of close friends as well as family there to support and cheer her on (I'm pretty sure she had the biggest crowd). Her speech was so good and I (and my Dad) had a hard time keeping a dry eye. She has joined the ranks of many great athletes, coaches and mentors but of course, in our book, she is the best and the HOF is lucky to have her!
My wonderful family
Mom's BFF, Bonnie
Mom's sister and niece all the way from Georgia

More 'family'. We love them like so.
Brudder and his GF, Michelle
The most awesomest parents in the world. Seriously, try to top them ;-)
Support crowd
Some of mom's former vball and tennis players
Our table decorations, my 20something momma
Aunt Connie and Uncle Brad
me and my honey
Mom accepting her award
Bringing me and Dad to tears
I'm not sure when (or if it even happens for everyone) the roles switch; when you start being just as proud of your parents as they were (and probably still are) of you. I was beaming with pride the whole weekend as I was reminded of the impact and influence my mom has had on so many people. She is inspiring, to say the least, and I can only pray that I am half the woman she is one day. Love you, Mom and I am so, so proud of you!

There's no denying each other :-)

4 comments:

  1. What a great post Jill!! Your mom was certainly a pioneer during the early days of women's sports. Great photos btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your mom. What an amazing accomplishment! I'm sure she was happy that you were there to be apart of the celebration but I'm sure glad your back in the 'Deen:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post! think it should be printed out and given to your mama! you are both lucky to have each other =)

    ReplyDelete