Thursday, December 27, 2012

Deck the Halls

...with boughs of holly.
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Tis the season to be jolly.
Fa la la la la, la la la la.  


1. Our apfelwein and glüwein cups. Each market at a different cup, you paid a deposit for the cup and your returned to get your deposit back or kept it for a souvenir. (L) Heidelberg (M) Nuremberg (R) Frankfurt.

2. Smokers. The body of the smoker comes off and you place a smelly good incense and the smoke comes our through their mouth. These come in many variations but I loved the hunter and Santa with his toys.
Can you see the smoke from Santa's mouth?
 3. Glass ornaments (usually mouth blown glass and hand painted). These are very traditional German Christmas ornaments and the good ones come at a pretty price. I thought two would be a good start and these are something I can add on throughout the years.
 4. Tea light globes. I love the scences on each one and they look so pretty lit up around the house.

5. Hand painted tin ornaments. Not sure how traditional these are but I loved them and thought they went perfect on my tree.

6. German pyramid or German Christmas Carousel. This was my biggest and most favorite purchase. It's a navitity scene with the manger on the bottom and the angels on the top level, the heat from the candles make the windmill spin. (click on the video to see)

                                               


It will be fun to put these out year after year and remember our great time in Germany. I hope to collect Christmas decorations from other parts of the world as well and I think this is a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment