Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Angus goes to Fyvie Castle

The weather in Scotland has been a little blah since we've returned from the states. I am pretty sure it has rained at some point during the day, every day since we've returned. And the past few days have just been a steady drizzle. Needless to say, you can get a little antsy being stuck inside all day which is why in Scotland you don't stay inside, you put on your rain gear and get outside. Angus and I have had a wet run every day this week. He doesn't mind it and I really don't either (though, I am thinking I need another pair of running shoes so my other ones can dry out!)

Luckily on Monday the forecast showed rain but it was just overcast and little windy. My friend, Nary, and I were both wanting to get outside and Angus needed some fresh air as well. So, Angus and I chose to forgo our morning jog for a 3 mile walk around Fyvie Castle.


Fyvie Castle dates back to the 13th century and is recognized as one of the most stunning castles in north-east Scotland. Like many castles in Scotland, it is said to haunted. The story says that the skeleton of a woman was discovered behind a bedroom wall during the 1920 renovation. The day the remains were laid to rest in Fyvie cemetery, the castle residents were plagued by noises and unexplained happenings. The Laird was fearful that he offended the woman, exhumed the skeleton and replaced it back behind the wall in which it was found. The haunting ceased. (source) Spooky!



The castle is surrounded by beautiful woods and peaceful loch that, on a gorgeous day, would make a lovely backdrop for a picnic.






We finished our walk with a yummy lunch at an inn/pub in Newmachar. I love that you can find little gems in just about every little Scottish village you drive through.

No comments:

Post a Comment